Tokens Only Main Banner
Main Page Image

Phoenix Cabaret Restoration Pt 1

I wanted to get started on this game for some time, as it was a huge childhood favorite, both in full size and on the Atari 2600. I’ve had it for almost a year now and have slowly gathered extra pcbs and a few parts necessary to get started. (Check out my other post to see it’s arrival Phoenix Cabaret Added) The plan was to do some minor cosmetic repair, clean up the cabinet, swap out the pcb and move on. I figured I could work on it during the down time of the other major projects I had going on.

Phoenix Cabaret

I wanted to install a double jamma adaptor from Mike’s Arcade so I could throw Pleiads in the cab as well. With my limited space I’m always looking to maximize the use of floor space and those two games work well together. It never quite works out according to plan, though. The first step was to strip out all the parts, label them and stash them in a tote for safe keeping. Once that was done I could haul the cabinet into the garage and look over the damage.

Once in the garage I was able to check out the weird corner repair and some other minor damage. Apparently one of the previous owners decided that using wood filler would make a nice repair. It didn’t. Problem is they didn’t use any support in the repair and didn’t do any sanding or even a complete repair job. No big deal, I would just re-do the repair and maybe just re-laminate the sides. I’d be keeping this one after all and it was worth the effort. So I popped off the wood filler and then figured I could strip off the laminate. Nope. The laminate was firmly attached and the particle board so flaky that it just made it worse. Crap. I just made a hole lot more work for myself.

So now I’ve got to undo all the brackets and carefully break apart the cabinet so I’ll have pieces to use as templates or possibly to re-use. I wasn’t planning on such a complete restoration and wanted this to go as quick as possible. I discovered an odd manufacturing bit about centuri cabarets while disassembling this thing. There are no glue joints at all. Every panel is held in place against some blocking and with simple carriage bolts. I was able to take the whole thing apart, without damaging the major pieces, in about 20 minutes. The bottom and the cracked piece in the back were the only fallout beside the side panels. What a fantastic way to assemble the cab.

The next step would be to cut some panels and laminate them. The phoenix cabaret had laminate on both sides, no paint, other than the brackets. I ordered some wood grain and black wilsonart laminate from Menards and would move forward once it was ready for pickup.

Tags: ,

Here are some similar arcade posts