Tokens Only Main Banner
Main Page Image

Space War Coin Door restoration

A smaller subset of the larger restoration, but still important, is the coin door. This particular door wasn’t too difficult to restore, with the 12 carriage bolts on the front causing me the most grief. The completed door looks great and I can’t wait to put it back on the cabinet. Space War Coin Door

To begin the restoration I stripped the parts off and put them in a plastic tote for safe keeping. Then I shipped off the metal door and frame to the powder coating facility I’ve been using recently, Pro-Tek. With the weather starting to change here in the Midwest, I didn’t want to risk painting this myself. Painting a framed coin door that cannot be disassembled requires a little skill, patience and time. There just wasn’t enough time. Pro-Tek would be running the color I needed, satin black, in a day or two so I sent over enough parts to qualify for the basic lot charge. A few days later I had the finished door in my hands and it looked fantastic, with a smooth and even finish. No wasted time or concern about cold weather. Here are a few before and after shots of the door before painting.

With the door ready to go it was time to find replacement carriage bolts. I didn’t have the 1 inch 10-24 black carriage bolts on hand, but I had a plain steel version. A common problem with new carriage bolts is they tend to have raised lettering on the top. Not something you want displayed on your newly restored control panel as the original hardware was smooth. This door used 12 carriage bolts, ugh. Plus the control panel has a bunch in the same size. I took a batch out to the garage and used the bench grinder to remove the lettering. I followed that up with a course and then fine grit sandpaper step to smooth out the rough marks made by the grinder. I didn’t do this by hand; I put each bolt into my cordless drill and spun it at the maximum speed. It worked well. To paint them I stuck the bolts into the edge of a scrap piece of cardboard. I lightly primed, then painted with black Rustoleum with a final clear coat for durability. Overall this was a pain and I will be ordering some carriage bolts for next time!

The coin mech assembly was simple, but had some parts that couldn’t be disassembled completely. I was able to rotate a few parts around on their rivets and did my best to clean everything using a toothbrush and some simple green. Lots of crud came loose. After drying everything completely, I used a product called Never Dull metal polish on the chrome and any easily accessible metal surfaces.

Never Dull is sold in a small metal can and looks like a big roll of cotton wadding. Most automotive stores sell it or some variation of it. It smells, but it sure does take the dirt and grime off metal parts. A shame the big chrome components aren’t visible from the outside as they turned out great. The return buttons were corroded and polishing them by hand would be a pain. I loaded them into my cordless drill and spun them at high speed, this made the cleaning and polishing quick and easy. I couldn’t get all the pitting out, but they looked better than before. The exterior coin return chutes were plastic and cleaned up with soap and water, so did a pair of “brownie” style .900 token mechanisms that I’ll use to replace the metal quarter mechs. Once it was all dry, I put the door back together. Here is the result.

The next step in this project is to finish putting the control panel back together and then putting everything back in the cabinet. The basement water issue has delayed my progress on this, but I hope to have it back up and running by the end of this month.

Tags: , , , , ,

Here are some similar arcade posts